Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Dear Conde Nast-No Vogue Africa?

These gorgeous Vogue Covers will not be published....because Conde Nast.  The corporation that owns Vanity Fair, Glamour, Allure, Vogue, GQ, W, WWD, Style, etc)  lifted up their noses and said no. 

No to African Vogue.  Why? I have no idea.



Ever since I was little I've had a magazine in my hand.  Loved the glossy pages filled with the latest designer clothing and the supermodels behind them.  Vogue was my ultimate fashion bible and if it had even a little bit of fashion spread with a black model...I was all over it.

July 2008-I practically fought a woman (white woman) tooth and nail to grab two copies of the All Black Italian Vogue issue. It was so huge for me!!! Which ended up being the most wanted issue ..Ever. 
They (Conde Nast) ran out of issues so fast that they had print 10,000 more copies due to the demand.

So what's the problem?  Having a monthly Vogue issue that features majority African models is too much?  Or are we just allowed one issue per year to grace your covers?  Oh, and you have to be a celebrity.  Okay, I am off my soapbox but, when I heard about this, I had to share.  Here are some Vogue Africa test covers that photographer Mario Epanya photographed and submitted to Conde Nast. 








2 comments:

  1. Baby love

    Thank you for sharing this ,kinda cute when i read this .....till i saw that you mistaken Me Mario Epanya to Mario Testino ;-)
    well till now ,Vogue didn't call me yet for a shoot ;-d.but it's ok ,just wanted to tell you that im black &african not italian or peruvian..
    cheers
    mario epanya
    http://www.marioepanya.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mario,

    I am so sorry for mistaken you in this blog post. I do apologize and made the correction in this blog post. (linked your website to your name) Thanks for calling it cute otherwise.

    My apologies again,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...