Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My Mother

Today is a very special day because today...is my mother's birthday.  I would like to take a moment or a post to write about my mother because what most people don't know is that my mother died when I was eleven years old of cancer.  But, I don't want to make this post about her death....I want this to be about the celebration of her life.  She was an amazing woman and I can't thank God enough for having such an amazing woman as my mother. 


I remember so much about her within the short years I had with her.   My mother's laugh(hysterical), her voice(so kind), her smile, her pose, her style and elegance.  I miss watching her get ready to go somewhere like Church or some place nice with my father.  I remember after she would put her lipstick in mirror she would turn to me and make sure to give me a little bit to put on my lips with her finger. "Just enough for a little color" she would say.   She was the most beautiful woman in the world to me and I could not wait to show her off at school if she had to visit or to my friends.


She was tall about 5'10 , 5'11" and yeah, I did not get that gene unfortunately.  I got my father's 5'8", 5'9" stoutness (I am 5'4").  However, I did adopt her dimple on the left side and her quietness.  Those that knew my mother and knew me, tell me that I look like her.  I don't know about that because I see myself everyday and I am not really sure if I see her in me. But, I guess she is there.


Christmas....the best time of the year for the Smith family.  Still is but, man, as a kid waking up my brother at like 4 a.m. and going downstairs and seeing all the toys laid out...It was truly heaven for me.  As you see in the pic above I was pretty occupied with the brand new Rainbow Brite I got to even look at the camera. My mother and father were hard workers and they made sure we (my bro and sisters)  hadn't went without.  Especially my mother.  She was an amazing crafter, sewer, and shopper.  My sisters and I still talk about the times we would all go on shopping trips.

Mama and Me with no front teeth

Craft Stores shopping was always fun with my mother.  She would get a project she would want to do and I would help her do it.  She knew I liked art,  fashion and drawing because she caught saw me one day drawing on the walls near the staircase.  (oops)  I got in trouble but the next day she bought me colored pencils and drawing pad.  VH1 Fashion television was our favorite hour on TV.    I knew all of the 90's supermodels names along with the designers like Gianni Versace and Calvin Klein: I was nine years old. 



Dad (pops), Mama and Me

There's not a day that goes by that I don't think about her.  She wrote us all personal letters the year before she died.  I cherish every word.  In the letter she writes that I was her sunshine that God gave her, she also wrote that she knows God has some great plans for me and she wanted me to be strong.  To remember to take care of myself and remember that God loves me. To take my problems to him first and he would guide me through.   She ends by saying that she loves so much and that she will see me later. 

It's testimonial because I've have learned over the years that taking my problems to God first was one of the things I tend to forget.  You get so wrapped up in whatever it is and feel like there's no one person to turn to...but God always there. 

I miss her.  Everyday. For the past 17 years. 

Happy Birthday Mama.  I love you and I hope I make you proud. :)

3 comments:

  1. Aww, this was really touching to read about your beautiful mother. Having recently lost some women from my childhood who were like second moms, this post reminds me to smile because I've known them rather than be sad because they're gone. As you show by your gracious words and memories, they're never gone as long as we cherish their memories. I'm sure your mother is proud of you. (I loved that she gave you a pad and colored pencils after not being happy about you drawing on the walls. Gotta' love mother's) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cici! Thanks for reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say your Mom was a Jaggernaut! I am so impressed with what your mom did with the time she had. Her words are so true. It is wonderful that you posted this, her words can reach out and touch so many.
    Now that's a powerful lady.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...